2019 USA-Cuba Series | Collegiate National Team Starts Cuba Series with 5-1 Win
Jul 2, 2019
HICKORY, N.C. - The USA Baseball Collegiate National Team began its 15-game schedule Tuesday with a 5-1 win over Cuba at LP Frans Stadium. Team USA opened a 1-0 lead in the 8th Annual USA vs. Cuba International Friendship Series, a five-game series played in five consecutive days around North Carolina.
"Right now we're in a good place," said head coach Dan McDonnell (Louisville). "Pitching and defense can say a lot about your team. Back-to-back nights we've done a good job."
Team USA was efficient on the mound with Max Meyer (Minnesota) starting and going four scoreless innings before Chris McMahon (Miami) worked the next five innings and allowed just one run for the save. Meyer allowed only two hits and struck out four, while McMahon allowed three hits and fanned three.
Tanner Allen (Mississippi State) led Team USA offensively with a 2-for-2 day and an RBI. Heston Kjerstad (Arkansas) drove in two and Austin Martin (Vanderbilt) and Luke Waddell (Georgia Tech) both had RBI singles.
The Collegiate National Team continues the 8th Annual USA vs. Cuba International Friendship Series at 7:05 p.m. ET on Wednesday at BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Heston Kjerstad (Arkansas) picked up Team USA's first RBIs of the summer on a two-run single to center field to score Tanner Allen (Mississippi State), who had singled, and Colton Cowser (Sam Houston State), who had walked.
- Allen singled through the right side with two outs in the third to make it 3-0 USA.
- Cuba got on the board in the fifth with a two-out RBI slow roller to third base, which resulted in a hit for Yuniesky Larduet Dominguez. USA's Chris McMahon (Miami) worked out of the inning by getting the next batter to fly out with two in scoring position.
- Austin Martin (Vanderbilt) and Luke Waddell (Mississippi State) singled on back-to-back pitches in the seventh to each score a run and extend USA's lead to 5-1.
- Cuban ambassador of the United States José Ramón Cabañas and Little League CEO Steve Keener jointly threw out the first pitch prior to the game.
- Team USA is 20-15 all-time against Cuba in the USA vs. Cuba International Friendship Series.
- Team USA has won five of the previous seven USA vs. Cuba International Friendship Series.
- Team USA has won four straight USA vs. Cuba International Friendship Series.
- Asa Lacy (Texas A&M) is scheduled to start Game 2.
- Wednesday vs. Cuba (7:05 p.m.; Charlotte, N.C.) *
- Thursday vs. Cuba (6:05 p.m.; Durham, N.C.) *
- Friday vs. Cuba (6 p.m.; Cary, N.C.)
- Saturday vs. Cuba (6:05 p.m.; Durham, N.C.) *
* - Live video available
Publicado por Ray Otero el Jue, 19/02/2015 - 10:42pm
Publicado por Ray Otero el Jue, 25/06/2015 - 8:29pm
Publicado por Ray Otero el Mar, 30/06/2015 - 9:07pm
Publicado por Ray Otero el Mié, 01/07/2015 - 12:14pm
Publicado por Ray Otero el Jue, 02/07/2015 - 11:43am
Publicado por Ray Otero el Vie, 03/07/2015 - 12:35am